CDEM

Destinations

Place Saint-Norbert

St. Norbert

More Photos

At the site of the former orphanage (1905-1948), managed by the Misericordia Sisters, the Saint-Norbert Heritage Group gathered a former butcher shop, a log house, a Red River cart and the La Barrière monument. This monument, which recalls the events of 1869-1870, replaced a simple cross of yesteryear bearing Father Ritchot’s inscription “Le doigt de Dieu est ici” (The finger of God is here). Here, Riel’s followers had erected a wooden barricade which prevented access to the colony by the governor appointed by Canada.

Documentation available in French

Phone: (204) 269-3229

Request a magazine

Feedback Form