Aprox Population: 500
Initially established as a St. Norbert mission in 1857, the St. Adolphe area, located along the Red River between Winnipeg and Ste. Agathe, was originally settled by Métis. Despite the devastating floods of 1826 and 1852, settlers from the Red River region relocated to this area during the latter half of the 19th century. Many more followed from Quebec, Eastern Canada and the United States. They were farmers and horticulturalists who sold their products in Winnipeg.
While there are differing opinions as to the origins of the name St. Adolphe, the most likely one suggests that the town and neighbouring Ste. Agathe were named in honour of Father Norbert Ritchot, who came from Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts, Quebec (whose neighbouring town is St. Adolphe). When passing through St. Adolphe, be sure to visit the “Room of the Miracle” museum in the St. Adolphe Personal Care home, the site of a reported miracle in 1922.